Tuesday, June 28, 2011

animation driven fluid dynamics....atlantian toroid!

This is just a part of RnD I was doing on fluids for making them Art Directable while still preserving their fluid nature. Sort of creating a water body which has a consciousness of its own.



A torus was animated and the objective was to try and get the fluids to move the way the torus was moving while still behaving like water/liquid. This animation drives a water/liquid body while its still simulating thus creating a fusion of both the effects to an extent.
(I will try and get this rendered in half HD as soon as I get some more time.)

The whole setup is procedural and implemented in Houdini using FLIP fluids.A custom setup was built to get rid of the recursive nature of the split pop which was then used to process the fluid for splashes.

Now I am trying to implement the same system in Naiad. I am really happy to see its performance and solve quality. So far I have been able to control the movement of the water/liquid body using velocity fields and Field NEL NOP (Naiad Operators) so its sort of suspended in air and moving as it should be but I'm clearly missing something here. Will put up the results as soon as I get some more time.


PS: I really hate it when I cant seemingly preserve the render quality while converting image sequences to movs in Linux. But thats another story..
HD video now uploaded on vimeo :)

chao.. :)

No comments: