Saturday, January 29, 2011

birds of a feather.....yeah they flock together!!

Well..I seem to be getting back to my senses..spending more time on computer than partying around..Seems a reasonable bargain for the moment at least..

The second unit of my class at Bournemouth Uni has started and since we had to chose the subject for our group project, I decided to go for an implementation of Flocking system in Houdini.
(The main reason being I really wanted to get started with something like Emergent Behavioral systems and considering the fact that we dont really get the time to work on our personal interests along with our projects at the uni..so its probably wiser to improvise the projects themselves to accommodate the effects your most interested in).

What I'm aiming for in this system:
Since this project would be marked I had to keep it within the realms of realism with respect to getting the entire project done within a period of 7 weeks (yeah..including the classes from 9-5, 5 days a week.....phheewww!!)

So I'm aiming to first finish off the 3 basic rules which govern a flocking system:
1) Alignment
2) Cohesion
3) Separation

At the moment I have not kept a hard limit on the points as can be seen from the video, there's a sort of soft limit on the which just helps in giving them more natural movement and gives some time for them to get back into the desired bounding area.
This system doesn't use particles and most of the functions have been built right up from scratch..

Since I would also need them to move in a specific way, I would also want to implement Pathfollowing.

Here's a quick flipbook of preliminary tests of the flocking system:


Not quite spectacular!! I know..I guess I will be able to fix up the issues in some more time..
until then I should be researching!

1 comment: