Monday, April 11, 2011

another jab at on site 3D acquisition!

Well this is just an update to my earlier post about experimenting with the mesh reconstruction using still pictures.
This test is looking better but still needs some more details. In my earlier tests where I just computed normals for the whole point cloud and meshed it, I figured its way more optimised if you clean up the point cloud and get rid of the junk point sets. Since I'm running Meshlab 1.2.2 I do not have the luxury of selecting and deleting the point sets within meshlab. So I just used Houdini instead!
The best part is houdini's bgeo format supports multiple datatype functionality akin to the ply format (which means you can still preserve your color information within houdini and move the data from Houdini to MEshlab pretty seamlessly).
I just figured one issue though, which again is easily resolved. The mesh generated by Meshlab appears to be black, this is because of the normals data getting screwed up. So once the mesh is imported into Houdini we could just recompute the normals which isn't time taking at all as we have the mesh.
So just append a facet sop and recompute the normals! Sweet!
Adios!

No comments: